The West Indies have pulled out of their series with India, just before a three match Test series was about to begin.
The issue has to do with money. Who would have guessed!
West Indian great fast bowler Michael Holding has tried to summarise the issue in this article.
The West Indies players association, led by ex player Wavell Hinds, have agreed a pay deal with the West Indies Cricket Board that some of the key players don’t agree with.
To show their disappointment, the players quit have the tour.
In response for withdrawing from the tour, the Indians are suing the West Indies for USD$60m+. The annual turnover of West Indies cricket is only USD$23m.
Could this kill off West Indies cricket forever?
What does it mean for the upcoming World Cup in Australia?
To understand the issue in further detail, I chat with David Oram from ‘Voice of Barbados‘ radio in, you guessed it, Barbados.
Finally, it would be remiss of me not to remind everyone that India pulled a similar stunt in South Africa in 2013.
Back then, they cancelled a Test at short notice because Cricket South African President Haroon Lorgat was under a corruption investigation (that he was later cleared of).
The Indians wanted the South African president to stand aside while that investigation was being carried out.
Oh, the irony!
Here is an interview with Haroon Lorgat from that time on the brilliant Ballz Radio
Listen to this podcast via iTunes, Soundcloud, Tune In Radio, Stitcher or Omny here.
Alternatively, follow these instructions on how to use the media player at the top of this page. It’s not that hard. Just click on the orange play button.
- Why I’m Scared of Travelling to Pakistan - February 19, 2020
- Why Islamabad United Won’t Improve Your Sex Life and How To Fix It - January 2, 2020
- The Only Honest Review of The PSL 2020 Draft on the Internet - December 7, 2019
- Dennis Does The World Cup: My essential guide to a very un-international international cricket tournament - June 2, 2019
- Dennis Does Pakistan – Full Documentary - April 14, 2019