One of the immense joys of being an Australian is that you get unfettered access to the Cricket Australia marketing machine.
This engine is the one that all of the world’s great companies aspire to be like.
Disney, McDonalds, Toyota and Virgin take their lessons from what these 1st year Arts students can create.
Last year was a watershed moment for Cricket Australia.
They took to Twitter under the @CricketAus handle like Mark Taylor takes to a bowl of icecream.
The highlight was clearly the racist ‘pick which Teletubby in a turbin is Monty Panesar’.
This was backed up by the use of other twitter outbursts including ‘That decision sucked arse #bullshit’.
Who can forget #wherespatto, #UniteAus, #returntheurn and the ever parochial #cmonmate.
We must also remember that the English have had a crack at this as well, with their slightly erotic ‘#Rise for England’ moment.
The English picked their subject matter well. Prior is gone, Cook should be gone and my thoughts on Anderson are well known.
This year’s Cricket Australia efforts are already well planned.
I have been able to get my hands on some of the social media marketing campaigns we are likely to enjoy in the warmer months.
Cricket Australia’s Online Marketing Plans
- ‘The Summer of Sexy’ will see daily pictures of Meg Lanning appearing on Facebook, doing anything except playing cricket.
- #CmonHabibi will be the official hashtag during Australia’s tour in the UAE to play Pakistan.
- On any given 40 degree day, the tweet ‘Is Ellyse Perry hot. RT for Yes. Fav for Yes’ will be sent along with a picture of Ellyse frolicking in a bikini at the beach.
- A live stream of Ryan Harris having knee surgery with ‘ScalpelCam’ making its debut.
- In an effort to connect with Gen Y, #AskShane will allow questions to be posed about dating tips and botox.
- The Melbourne Stars will run ‘KP bingo’. You get to guess what scores Kevin Pietersen makes in his 3 games for the team.
- Not to be outdone, the Melbourne renegades want you to name their new mascot (seriously). From their website:
Because, you know, what she looks like is the most important thing.
Finally, the sponsors are also looking to refresh their marketing efforts this summer:
- The clearly non offensive, extremely funny and modern Mahatma Cote will help out Toyota
- ‘Minties Mania’. For those times when taking lollies from strangers is Ok